Thursday, August 23, 2012

the "NO" sign for children.. and your sanity

Sometimes, for parents, one of the most troubling thought is of your child getting into your medication. What's worse, is having a bowel problem (in my case IBS) and having to put Miralax in your drink and worrying if your kid is gonna drink it. Well, I came up with a simple solution... let me give a little back-story first.

Last week, while out eating, Chloe pointed to the three arrows making a triangle and stated that the symbol meant "recycle". I was impressed that my four-year-old knew that. So, upon making some tea this evening and pouring in my Miralax, I got the bright idea to use a symbol that she could recognize meant "no". This was when my "AH, HA" moment hit. The "NO" sign... ya know, the red circle with the slash through it. I drew it on my cup and showed her, then said "this is mommy's cup with medicine in it. This sign means "no"". After that short discussion, I took her to the computer and showed her some google images of the "no" sign. I knew she "got it" when she saw a picture and said "no puppy dogs"- she looked sad about it, too.

Because of this, we have accomplished two VERY good things: Chloe knows what the "no" sign means, and she knows mommy's medicine drink is a "no, no".


No comments:

Post a Comment